I will never forget the first time that I breathed in the Mallorcan air..as we drove from the airport along the coast to our holiday home. I felt at peace at once with the tranquil turquoise waters, and cool, fragrant fresh air.
Shortly after we checked in to our little home, nestled in the midst of lemon and orange groves, we headed to the nearest village. I had to try out as many local foods and sweets as I possibly could.
One of my highlights was the Mallorcan almond cake, and nearly every cafe and bakery offered their own version.
I asked the cafe owner if she would give me a recipe and she complied. The following morning, even before the sun made its way to our flat, I ventured outside and picked some of the lemons from the garden to make my own version.
It is now a household staple of mine. The delicate moist crumb and deep almond-lemon flavor brings me back to Mallorca each time.
A recipe for a moist, lemon almond cake
- 4 large room temperature eggs
- 1 large lemon
- 100g or 1 cup of coconut blossom sugar or date sugar
- 200 grams or 2 cups of almond flour
- 1 tsp. of baking powder
- Optional fresh fruit like cherries
- Step 1 Separate the eggs yolks from the whites and place each into a large bowl
- Step 2 Add 50grams (1/2 cup) of coconut blossom sugar into the yolks and beat well until light and fluffy
- Step 3 Add in the zest of the lemon and the juice
- Step 4 Stir in the Almond flour and the baking powder
- Step 5 Beat the whites until stiff and add the other 50 grams (1/2 cup)of coconut blossom sugar
- Step 6 Fold the egg whites into the almond flour and yolk mixture
- Step 7 Pour into your prepared baking tin
- Step 8 (if you want to add some fresh fruit, like cherries add them in now on top)
- Step 9 Bake for 30 minutes at 180F degrees or 350F
- Step 10 Enjoy!