I spent a great deal of time in Madrid between 2009 and 2011, and loved going to the farmers market to chat with the vendors. I inevitably ended up with MUCH more than I had ever intended to purchase, because they always gave me something extra to take home. After the market, we would get a slice of “Tortilla de papas” before heading home.
I enjoyed them Everywhere, and every time of the day. And each place offered their own particular unique versions. Some of them were filled with onions others not. Some were soft and almost gooey in the center, while others were more solid and almost dry…but all of them were tasty.
Original recipes use potatoes with the skins peeled off. I just kept the skin on mine, because
I love the taste…but…either way…enjoy!
Tortilla de Patatas. Spanish Omlette
A standard recipe for Tortilla de Patatas
- 1 Kilo of peeled potatoes
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sized onion
- 8 Eggs
- 1tsp. salt
- Step 1 1. Cut the potatoes in thin slices
- Step 2 2. Place frying pan on stove and turn to medium
- Step 3 3. Add enough olive oil to cover the surface of the pan
- Step 4 4. Add the potatoes and add enough oil to just cover the potatoes.
- Step 5 5. Cook until the potatoes are soft (15-20min)
- Step 6 6. Take the potatoes out of the oil with a strainer or slotted spoon and put them into a bowl
- Step 7 7. Pour the oil into a cup
- Step 8 7. Slice the onion into very thin slices
- Step 9 8. Pour just enough olive oil in the frying pan to coat the surface of the pan
- Step 10 9. Fry the onions in the frying pan until they are caramelized and soft
- Step 11 10. Crack the eggs into a bowl and mix them up with the salt
- Step 12 11. Place the fried onions into the bowl with the eggs and mix
- Step 13 12. Now add in the cooked potatoes and stir
- Step 14 13. Pour enough oil back into the drying pan to cover the pan and pour in the egg, potato and onion mixture
- Step 15 14. Turn the heat down to medium-low and cook until the surface becomes slightly solidified. You can shake the pan from time to time to make sure that it does not stick.
- Step 16 15. Flip your tortilla once the bottom is cooked
- Step 17 16. Cook for another minute and you are ready to go!